Annmarie

Annmarie
1 month old

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I will not go quietly into that good night.

Ah Dylan, something tells me you did not write this poem about your father. Dylan Thomas supposedly wrote the poem "Do not go gentle into that good night" to encourage his dying father to fight for life. I think he had a baby and was being sarcastic about how babies fight tooth and nail to not fall asleep.
Anyway, today we had our six month check up -and shots. Nice. It kinda caught me off guard. I didn't expect shots again, but I guess I should have known.  Doc says I am doing everything wrong. Not really, but sort of. She said that I was supposed to be giving her vitamin supplements because she is breast fed. OK. Now I know, now I will give them to her. She also said that I was supposed to be feeding her 2 servings of protein a day. And that I was supposed to start with meats, then introduce veggies, then fruits. Which is the exact opposite of what I was doing. Oh, and she's not supposed to be drinking juices because they are essentially all sugar. I should be giving her water in her sippy cup every day.
OK, let me go get my salt shaker -I am going to need a little additive for this one. I listened to the woman and went home and thought about it and started looking for my grain of salt. Then I reread the paperwork they gave me today. Right on the front page, it stated clearly fruits, veggies then meats. She just lost credibility, but I do understand her logic. Hmm. I am not too worried about the vitamin drops because she has had some formula. I did get the drops and give her some tonight. The juice thing, yes I kind of understand, but the water thing. Umm...didn't they yell at me just a couple of months ago about babies being intoxicated and getting brain damage from drinking water and jacking up her electrolyte balance??? Not to mention she can't drink California tap water because it's too harsh on her system.  Yes, I am still taking the advise with a grain of salt -and not verbalizing the ID-10T phrase rolling around in my head.
So, here are our stats: 18 pounds 5 ounces (78%), 28 inches tall (93%), head circumference of 44.2 cm (87%). They must have used a different scale because there is no way she lost weight. Our little girl was so active, she stole the doctor's badges and  stethoscope. She crinkled up all the paper on the exam table because it made some really cool sounds. And then, to top it off, the doctor was trying to make her lay down and she refused. She kept making her body straight and stiff so the doctor couldn't bend her to lay her down. She wanted to stand. That's my girl. She was really mad at the Corpsman that had to administer her 3 shots. He left and she quit crying. He came back and she lit him up again. Then she was good again while mommy waited for her vitamin drops. I should have given her Tylenol right away but she did pretty well after the last set that I didn't. Big mistake. We followed our routine but it didn't work. She didn't like her chicken. I even mixed it with cereal and drops. Then she was calm again until she rolled off of her mat and clocked her head on the floor. After that, it was all over. 45 minutes later, she was in bed in her PJs screaming. She was covered in chicken so it took that long to get her cleaned up and lotioned down. Don't ask. Another half hour of crying and she finally cried herself to sleep!
Grandpa sent up pics of the nursery today. He's so excited, so are we! I recommend keeping things neutral colored. It's probably the best way to talk the other girls into providing more grandkids! Very cool crib, we just have to lower it. Ol' girl will crawl right over those rails. You're gonna be surprised at how big she is. OK, I need to do research on how much baby food I can take on a plane. The rules on liquids are pretty odd.

From above: ID-10T = idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment