Annmarie

Annmarie
1 month old

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Happy Three Month Birthday Baby!

I can't believe three months has gone by so quickly. I am finally settling into a semi-decent routine. Baby girl is progressing nicely. She has started coo-ing and laughing more and more. That's not what I want to talk about today.

Today I want to vent about the Military's Family Care Plan. It's this extremely intrusive packet/contract amendment I am required to file within 60 days of my child's birth. Not everyone has to complete a Family Care Plan. Single parents and dual military must do it. Basically, it's all the paperwork to turn custody of my child over at a moment's notice. The good side is that this makes you dwell on the seriousness of the job and the possibilities that exist. It's good because the military member can use this as a tool to plan for their children's well being. It's bad because this is not why the military developed the contract amendment. And don't kid, it is exactly that- a contract amendment. If I don't turnover custody of my children so that they can send me
ANYWHERE in the world -at a moment's notice, they can (and will) fire me. Even after fifteen years, if I sign and turn in this paperwork, I can -in fact be terminated if something happens and my family care arrangements fall through. If I refuse to fill out and sign the amendment, I can be charged with Article 92 -"Failure to Obey a Lawful Order".  If pursued this too could result in my termination (or in Navy terms "Administrative Separation"). Some women think this is just another tool in the "Man's Navy" to force out women. We will save that one for another day. 
Here's the kicker of it: as long as I have braces I can't deploy with the Army (IA)...I can only deploy on ships and those are few and far between. And, I have already completed my IA duties.  I have completed my Family Care Plan, I just don't want to route it. I know that I don't have to deploy until August of next year...there's just something innately wrong in filling out paperwork to give away your child. I know it's only temporarily giving up your child -but it's still the same in my head. I guess it would be easier if I were dumb enough to believe that this program was designed to help families -instead of the "help" actually being a side effect of the military covering their butts.
I mean, c'mon...could you give up someone this precious?


Of course, I am going to turn in the paperwork. After 15 years I don't know how to not conform. Bottom line, if I found research that proved burning your skin off made your kids bullet proof, I would buy stock in BIC. The plan does make arrangements for my child in the event that I die today. So, I am doing it. And yes, your math is correct, I am a month late. But, in my defense, it was complete on time, I just haven't turned it in.

Speaking of which...don't forget to donate to the girl's college fund! >>>>>>>

1 comment:

  1. USS HOPPER (DDG 70) is in the top picture completing helo ops with a SH-60 and HSM 71, with USS PREBLE (DDG 88) in the background during my 2009 Deployment.
    The lower picture is the USS HEWITT (DD-966)-my first ship, first mission back in the mid-90's.

    ReplyDelete