Annmarie

Annmarie
1 month old

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Paying for a Holiday Weekend

So, it seems I have to pay for getting an extra day off. The past two nights have been very challenging. Last night she did do a little better. The major problem is that babies can't breathe out of their mouths -and she has had a pretty runny nose. But, as we got her to sleep on her side, she did get some sleep. Her runny nose turned into my runny nose and a sinus headache. Now my nose is chapped from running for two days. And, today at work I was passed up for my promotion. When I say passed up, I mean SEVERAL more junior men were promoted over me. Not one woman made advancement in my category. This is the second year in a row that no women were promoted. I was passed up by a guy with a recent DUI, another one that impregnated his 23 year old division officer, and a third that is very far out of physical standards. When I say out of physical standards, I mean he is on the verge of being thrown out for failing multiple physical readiness tests. So, I leave work early and go pick up the girl so we can get home and take a nap. This is one of those days that you just want to sleep it off. Did I mention I yanked one of the charms off of my mommy charm bracelet? Anyway, I get to the caregivers to pick up Annmarie. Keep in mind, when I dropped Annmarie off, the care giver's 2 year old grabbed her by the hair and flung her from a sitting position to a laying down position before I could get a hold of the child and take my child's hair out of her hand. So, I arrive there to pick her up. Annmarie is sleeping in the playpen I provided. The 2 year old goes over to the playpen, gets down on all fours and starts screaming at the top of her lungs. She did this deliberately to scare her. The care giver's response: "No, thank you please". I am mentioning this specifically because this is not the first time I have had incidents. Seriously, the 5 year old  has done very similar things. One time, he came up when I was holding her and grabbed onto her feet and tried to dead weight himself. I had to take a knee in order to avoid either dropping her or letting him snap her legs off. She doesn't stop or discipline the kids. She says that they only do that kind of thing when I come over.
Here's the quandary: Annmarie obviously likes the caregiver. I have known this woman's family for more than a decade. But, my experience tells me that kids generally do worse things when adults aren't around then when they are in front them. So, tomorrow, I am going to have a sit down conversation with her. There are places that are closer and have actual 'baby rooms' where she is around only kids her own age.
So, we get home and it all starts. Our runny noses have mutated over to the flu. We have been in the bathroom most of the night.

Implications: With so many around me advancing, not only am I still on the hook for 24 hour shifts, now their frequency increases. Instead of every 30 days, now it will definitely be at least every 20 days, maybe every 10 days.
If I place the girl in public child care, she will be exposed to all kinds of germs and most likely be sick a lot more often. So, which is worse, bullying or sickness? But, there is a facility a lot closer to me than the current one.

No comments:

Post a Comment