Annmarie

Annmarie
1 month old

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Many Languages of the Military Mom

Sorry, I haven't been 'on' much in the past few days. Life has a way of becoming super busy without notice. I have been having issues with the fridge...or in other terms:

Military Boss Talk: Sir, I conducted PMS on the AN/SQQ Fridge, Mod 1 Mark 1, to correct a discrepancy in accordance with CSOSS Procedure FRI-03 and Maintenance Procedure 4688/010-Fridge.

Deckplate Talk: I tore that b!tch down to parade rest and ripped out the piece o' sh!t vent louvers.

Woman Talk: I used a butter knife to take apart the freezer and then a hair dryer to defrost it. Then removed the man-made vents -as once again, the man was wrong.

Mom Talk: Annmarie, you sit still in your chair hunny, and watch phonics while mommy fixes the fridge's boo boo. And, keep your earmuffs on.

Yes, my fridge went on the fritz again. Yes, the military taught me enough to be able to safely find my way around the machine without releasing toxic coolant into the air. And, yes, my lazy butt seriously considered just buying a whole new fridge. Option 2 was paying someone to come in and fix it again. I opted to just do it myself.

One big problem in the military is that you are never know if you will be in the same spot long enough to make deep roots. I am no exception. I never know where I will be in the next couple of years. So, why invest in a really nice fridge, if I know I will have to leave it when I leave? If I buy another cheap one, chances are it will have the same design problems as the one I currently own. If....if...if...tired of all the if's.

Which leads me to the other issue on the plate. It seems I may have to move to the East Coast for my next rotation. Up until now I have always fought to stay in San Diego. "What's different now?" you ask. This rotation will lead into my twilight tour. So, I need to start setting up for my retirement. Yes, I intend to retire at my 20 year mark. For now, (I say again, FOR NOW) the plan is to retire in/around/near Ocala, Florida. I have no intention of returning to Hernando County. South of Tampa is way too hot. And, north of Ocala is...how do I put it...too...not me...for the most part.  Ocala is good. Cost of living isn't high. Near enough to drive home every now and then; same time zone as PA -so the flights are easier, no snow...
As soon as Aunt Lori finalizes her plans, I will be able to work out mine. There are several options right now, but as she is Annmarie's short term care provider, I have to wait on her to make a move. But, I have to find out what jobs are available and when they open up -NOW. If I need to move earlier or later, it has to be addressed soon. I can't go to a job that isn't open.

As always, Saturday is being reserved for Skype time. Just let us know when you are free and we will make it! She is developing quite the personality! She would love to meet her Aunt Kayla this weekend! I haven't made any plans because I have been running like a madwoman all week. But, the good side of that is that now our schedule is totally flexible.  I will try to add pics in to this tonight when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment