Annmarie

Annmarie
1 month old

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lucky Mommy

I was a little mad at work when I first started dealing with being Active Duty and trying to breast feed Today, I read an article from an Army chic that was trying to keep up with feeding her child. I then learned that all branches place the onus on commanders to provide a private space to moms–except for the Army. And nursing is encouraged by all branches but Coast Guard. I know of women that were (not too long ago) forced to "express" in bathrooms, their cars, or even in a closet (Niki, I still remember all the crap they gave you). So, even though it's a pain in the neck, I am lucky. It still sucks -especially on days like today when I accidentally left the milk at work. And to think of it, I really don't know how women at sea breast feed. There just isn't room or ample refrigeration. Annmarie is worth it. Even though it's hard, it's worth it. The uncomfortable look on stupid men's faces makes it worth it. 
Today, the girl reminded me of my brother Matthew. I remember sitting on the ground in the front yard, in Hill n' Dale with Matthew on my lap. He had hair like Annmarie. I remember sitting Indian style with him in my lap and his head against my chest. His hair was brushing against my chin. The sun was going down and there was a nice breeze. I was maybe 11 or 12 years old, Matthew was 5 or 6. It was so calm and peaceful. Everything was right with the world. Granted the girl is a lot younger than Matthew was. Keep in mind, I said younger...not smaller. Matthew was a small kid, but he still managed to steal my heart. Now, Annmarie has forced my heart to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment